Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Turns out i don't hate meatloaf!

So a few weeks ago I tried to make meatloaf for the BF. Turns out at the time I didn't know what I was doing. I made this greasy nasty lumps of meat filled with ketchup and onion. Pretty gross but I thought it tasted like meatloaf.

Well today I thought I would have another go. After some research online and lots of texts between the BF's mom I made the perfect meatloaf!! So I found this amazing stuffed meatloaf recipe but the only problem was that the actual meatloaf part was pretty much what I made last time, and I already knew that wasn't going to fly. So hence the picking of the BF's mom's experience. I took her recipe and customized it some to fit what I wanted. I just wish I would have taken more pictures of the process, but I was rushing and trying to get it all put together and in the oven before the BF came home.

So here is my best idea of what I made:

The best Meatloaf ever!!

2lbs ground beef
2 carrots
1 zucchini
1 purple onion
10 oz mushrooms
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
spices: I used pinches of thyme, nutmeg, oregano, rosemary, and of course salt and pepper
Italian breadcrumbs
3 egg yolks


The filling:
10 oz frozen spinach
mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese (i used a packaged shredded blend of the two of these and I didn't measure)
I put in the same spices as above and added some fresh cut up basil.

Glaze:
Ketchup
Worcestershire sauce
Bacon

I used my Pampered Chef Food Chopper to chop up all the veggies. Then sauteed them over medium heat till they were nice and cooked.

Then I mixed the veggies, ground beef, egg yolks, bread crumbs and spices in a large bowl.

In a smaller bowl mix together all the filling ingredients and set aside.

Now you need some counter space and saran wrap. Spread a long sheet of saran wrap and then spoon the meat onto it. Slap it down into a rectangle.

Spread the filling in the center of the rectangle staying away from the edges.

Use the Saran Wrap to roll the meat jelly roll style. Make it tight and make sure the ends are closed.

Plop it down on a cookie sheet. And bake it at 350 for about an hour. I stopped mine 10 minutes early and sprinkled cheese on the little loaf.

Spread your glaze on top and make it look pretty wit bacon.


That little chunk in the background was because my meatlaof was huge and hung over the edges so i had to pinch it off and make a mini meat loaf.


This is me and the meat!! Look at how proud I am am....by the way this smells amazing!! part of the proud look is pure shock that I am dying to try this.




Look at the gooey yummyness that is the cheese stretching out!

I tried to get a picture of it all pretty on the plate but the BF swiped the palte stating he was starving!!

So his only complaint this time was that it could ahev used more salt, I put very little in it. I disagree with him, as I thought it tasted really fresh and yummy.

Can not believe that I liked this...shocked at myself. I still hate cooked peas though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment